Your Pet is Part of Our Family – Serving Comal County for over 40 years!

Monthly Archives: December 2014

The holidays are an exciting time of year for all of us! Special times with friends and family, gifts and goodies to share and special plants and trees to brighten the atmosphere!

During all of the hustle and bustle, it is easy for our 4 legged pals to sneak past us and get into trouble while we are not looking! Here is a list of the Top 5 Holiday Toxins you should be aware of this season.

1. Chocolate-Everyone, including dogs, love chocolate and all of its decadence! However, chocolate can cause big problems if too much is ingested by your sweet pooch. There are 3 main chocolates that tend to cause the most problems: milk chocolate, semi-sweet and baker’s chocolate being the worst.
Symptoms of toxicity: vomiting, diarrhea, increased body temperature, muscle rigity, increased breathing and heart rate, seizures. Toxicity can lead to heart failure, coma or death.
2. Alcohol-Let’s face it, It’s around this time of year, and it may be hidden in places you didn’t even know! Alcohol has many of the same effects on pets as it does in humans but greatly intensified. But, did you know that the yeast in raw bread dough can ferment and result in alcohol poisoing? Unbaked bread dough will expand quickly in a warm, moist environment and cause a bloated stomach which can lead to a GDV (gastric dilitation volvulus or twisted stomach) and lead to a life threatening situation.
Symptoms of alcohol toxicity: Staggering, drooling, retching, vomiting, weakness, elevated heart rate, collapse, low blood pressure, hypothermia and seizures. Severe toxicity can lead to respiratory failure, coma and death.
3. Human Medications-With colder weather, sickness usually comes along. Also, holidays tend to bring lots of guests around. It is likely that more medications will be on hand this time of year. Be sure to keep all of your medications stored up high or in a locked cabinet, as they can potentially be very harmful. Pets that ingest human medications can be affected in many different ways that range in severity.
4. Poinsettias-Beautiful plants that everyone loves to decorate with and kitties love to chew on! But, these bright colored plants can cause cats some gastrointestinal upset. Common signs include excessive drooling and vomiting.¬†Although we don’t see many lilies this time of year, keep in mind that these are more toxic than poinsettias. Please keep these away from your cats and never let them chew on!
5. Tree Preservatives-Most people add preservatives to their live trees to keep them healthy and hydrated throughout the Holiday season. These preservatives usually contain sugars and chemicals of some sort. Please keep your pets away as ingesting will commonly cause vomiting.

If your pet has ingested any toxins, please call us immediately at (830) 964-3696 or, you can call Animal Poison Control Center at 855-764-7661 (there is a $39 per incident fee for APCC).

We hope that your family and your pets stay healthy and enjoy the Holidays this season!

Happy Paw-li-days!

From the loving and caring staff at,
Canyon Animal Clinic & Canyon City Animal Hospital


Canyon Animal Clinic

joeydec14CAC chose Joey as their special case and patient of the month! Joey came to see us when his parents noticed he was not feeling well! We found out he got into something toxic! He spent an entire week in our hospital and received IV fluids and intensive care! Luckily, for Joey, his ill condition turned around and we are so glad to say that he will be home for Christmas with his family!

 

 

 

 

Canyon City Animal Hospital 

maddiedec14

CCAH selected Maddie! Maddie is a Shih-tzu that visits us often! We love to see her mom and dad, too! Maddie has been dealing with some skin allergies. We recently started her on some oral medication and also a shampoo that helps with her skin issues. She is now less itchy and feeling better thanks to her treatment! And, thanks to mom and dad being diligent on giving her the treatment! And, lots of TLC, of course!